Ipad behaves different than iphone

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Ipad behaves different than iphone

Postby Kentinada » Tue May 28, 2013 11:41 am

I have Mobilinc HD installed on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I use it with an ISY99i controller. I have my profile downloaded into both devices. I have an Outletlinc and a Lamplinc Dimmer (Dual band) defined. If I turn the Outletlinc plug on from my iPhone, it works fine. If I try to turn it on from my iPad, the status changes to On but it really doesn't turn the device on. It also shows the LampLinc switching to On but it doesn't really go on either. From the iPhone, it works correctly, i.e. Outletlinc shows On and device turns on while the Lamplinc stays Off as it should. I have tried downloading the profile on my iPad a couple times. I even deleted the app and reinstalled. Still behaves incorrectly. Ideas?
Kentinada

Re: Ipad behaves different than iphone

Postby AdminWes » Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 am

Kentinada,

The status indicators in MobiLinc HD on the iPad and iPhone work the same way. Meaning, both receive their status from the ISY in real-time. So, in this case, the ISY is telling MobiLinc that these devices are turning on or off.

What happens when you open MobiLinc up on both the iPad and the iPhone and open the Admin Console? Do you see status update in all locations? Also, keep in mind that if you flood the ISY with ON/OFF requests quickly, you might get into a state where the device doesn't respond yet status gets updated. When testing, please allow at least 5 seconds between issuing ON/OFF commands.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Kentinada » Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 am

This is definitely a problem in the iPad software somewhere.

From my iPad:
- press the Island Plug switch to turn on an outdoor OutletLinc.
- status changes to On on the iPad, iPhone, and Admin console but the plug is not really on, i.e. no lights outside.
- status of Basement Tree switch also changes to On without ever pressing it AND the lights on the tree do come on.
- status of Basement Tree on iPhone and Admin console show On as well.
- Press Off for Island Plug and it and the Basement Tree device switch to Off in all 3 places

From my iPhone:
- press the Island Plug switch to turn on an outdoor OutletLinc.
- status changes to On on the iPad, iPhone, and Admin console AND the plug is really on, i.e. lights outside are lit.
- status of Basement Tree switch stays in Off position.
Kentinada

Postby AdminWes » Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 am

Here's my guess. Is the OutletLinc a CONTROLLER of a scene anywhere? If so, how is that scene defined?

My guess is that the OutletLinc is a CONTROLLER of a scene where the scene is defined to turn the outletlinc OFF. When you tap the icon in MobiLinc HD, MobiLinc will look to see if that device is a controller. If it is, MobiLinc redirects the command to the scene instead.

On your iPhone, you *should* see the same effect if you tap the icon of the outletlinc. If you tunnel into the details and tap the ON/OFF rows, you will only be controlling the device. You can replicate this on the iPad by tapping the gear icon and then tapping the ON/OFF rows here as well to directly and only control the device.

ICON control will look for scenes that the device is a controller of and send that ON/OFF command to the scene instead of just the device.

Does that explain what's happening?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Kentinada » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 am

Not really. The Island Plug device is a RESPONDER to a scene but not a CONTROLLER. Other ideas?
Kentinada

Postby AdminWes » Wed May 29, 2013 5:46 pm

- status of Basement Tree switch also changes to On without ever pressing it AND the lights on the tree do come on.

If another device is responding to the outletlinc coming ON, then there's a scene or program somewhere telling this secondary device to flip on.

Would you be willing to allow me to connect to your ISY to see what's happening? If so, please email me your connection details to support@mobilinc.com and I'll take a look.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Kentinada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 am

Before we do that, can you explain why this happens on the iPad and not the iPhone? If there was a scene, it would behave the same on both devices would it not?
Kentinada

Postby AdminWes » Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 am

It *should* operate the same. But there are differences. I really need to connect to see what's happening in your setup that's causing the behavior so I can pinpoint a solution.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Kentinada » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 am

Wes,

I'd like to revisit this because the ipad still behaves differently than the iphone. What do we have to do to figure this out?

Thanks,
Kent
Kentinada

Postby AdminWes » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 am

Kent,

I would need to connect to your ISY to see how everything is defined and working so I can get a better sense of why there's a different behavior.

Please send me your connection details to support@mobilinc.com and I'll take a look.

When you use the Admin Console, does it work properly (ie, as expected)?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments