Geofencing - Big Fan

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Geofencing - Big Fan

Postby andyf0 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 am

Now that I understand how the Geo-Fencing works I am a big Fan. It has solved a major problem with my occupancy solution. I use motion sensors around the main travel areas of the house to determine if the house is occupied or not. If not, the house shuts down after 20 minute timeout but not before sending me a text 5 minutes beforehand.

The main problem has been if I take a nap, or get involved at the computer where motion is minimal. I'd keep getting text messages at which point I'd have to move around to indicate my presence.

With Geo-Fencing I can use my iPhone to only allow this to happen if the iPhone is out-of-region. It works as normal if I am away from the house to allow it to function when the cleaning crew arrives for example, but will override the function if I am home with my iPhone.

This has solved a huge inconvenience for me, thanks for continual improvement to a great app.
andyf0

Re: Geofencing - Big Fan

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks Andy for posting your story!

We agree, geo-fencing is VERY slick. I personally use it every day to automate actions with my house based on occupancy.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby andyf0 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Wes, quick question

My data usage seems to be a little higher this month, would you happen to know if Geo-Fencing uses 4G data if it's turned on (Geo-Fencing)?
andyf0

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

Andy,

No idea. That's an iOS function that we don't have visibility into. From what I know and have tested, geo-fencing shouldn't be sending/receiving data on Wi-Fi or cell. It's a feature derived inside of the operating system based on known radio sources.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments