Mobilinc does not work on programs linked to KPL

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Mobilinc does not work on programs linked to KPL

Postby jkraus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am

I just purchased ML HD and all works well EXCEPT programs that are linked to a key on one of my KPLs. Interesting, if I use ML program section to activate the programs "Then" statement works OK, but if I press the simulated KPL button that starts this program, despite the actual KPL button lite turning on the program does not execute
jkraus

Re: Mobilinc does not work on programs linked to KPL

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 am

HI jkraus,

Thank you for your purchase!

Here is how MobiLinc HD is able to command a KPL light to turn on. The ISY either cannot or does not allow clients to directly control any KPL sub-buttons (non-load buttons). What the ISY does do, is it will keep the KPL light (status) synced with a scene if the KPL button is a controller or responder to that scene.

MobiLinc HD knows which controllers (KPL buttons) are controlling various scenes in your setup. When the KPL button is pressed, MobiLinc HD checks to see if this button is a controller. If it is, then it will not attempt to control the KPL button, instead it will tell the scene to turn on or off. The net effect is that the KPL light turns on and the scene is activated.

I just tried on my end creating an empty scene with the KPL button as the controller. Then I created a program to run when the KPL button status is ON. MobiLinc HD ends up executing this program indirectly now if I press the KPL button I added to the empty scene. MobiLinc HD actually tells the scene to turn on and the ISY sees the KPL status go to ON because of the scene activation, and then in response, executes the program.

Can you give me more details to how you linked the Program to a KPL button and the program definition so that I can help you?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jkraus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 am

Thnaks Wes,
I have a quite simple program, something like:

if
" KPL Pool eq" F is switched on
and " KPL Pool eq" F is not switched off

Then:
turn on pool pump
wait 1 hr
turn off pool pump

else:
turn off pool pump
turn off "the dummy scene that has the switch in it"
jkraus

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi jkraus,

I see one problem with the program as written. By using the "switched on" and "not switched off" statements in the program, the ISY will only evaluate the IF statement as true if someone physically presses the KPL button. If the KPL button is tied to a scene, and the scene goes on, the KPL's status is now ON, but it wasn't switched physically on, so the ISY will not run your program.

Here's what I would do:
1. Create a scene with the KPL button as the controller and the pool pump as a responder. The benefit to creating a scene is that even if your ISY is off line, the PLM knows all the links and can issue the on/off commands without the ISY. As your program is written today if the ISY goes offline you can't turn the pool pump on or off because the ISY has to evaluate the switched state of the KPL. Also, scene are a little faster than waiting for the ISY to process the program states.
2. Now to address the 1 hour pool pump on requirement. Modify your program to look for the KPL status is ON instead of switched ON and change the Then statement to wait 1hr then turn the scene OFF. So it would look something like this:

If
Status 'KPL Pool eq' is On
Then
Wait 1 hour
Set Scene 'Pool Equipment' Off
Else
- No Actions -

Now when you press the KPL button OR press the KPL virtual button in MobiLinc HD, the same effect is achieved. The scene turns on which drives the pool pump on. The program responds by waiting for 1 hour and then turning the pool pump off by scene control. The other benefit is now when the ISY turns the pool pump off by way of scene control the ISY keeps your KPL light in sync. On = pool pump running. Off = pool pump not running.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jkraus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi wes,
Your idea is perfect.......Except, my pool pump is my last remaining X10 device, and even though I have purchased the X10 Module it does not allow X10 devices to be added to scenes. I do not think there is a work around, but thanks so much for trying
jkraus

Postby jkraus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

wes
nevermind, I did as you said and just put the timer back into theprogram and all wokrs well. Great! Thanks
final program:

If
Control 'REMOTE LINC 1 / #3' is switched On
Or Status 'KPL Pool Eq / KPL Pool Eq F' is On
Or Status 'KPL Pool - F' is On
And Control 'REMOTE LINC 1 / #3' is not switched Off

Then
Set 'Pool Pump' On
Wait 4 hours
Run Program 'Pool on 4 HR KPL - F' (Else Path)

Else
Set 'Pool Pump' Off
Wait 1 second
Set Scene 'Pool Timer 1 hour' Off
Set Scene 'Pool Timer 2 Hour' Off
Set Scene 'Pool Timer 4 Hour' Off
Set Scene 'Pool timer on off' Off
jkraus

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Great! Glad you found a solution for your setup!

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments