Local Wifi Sync and connecting via internet

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: Local Wifi Sync and connecting via internet

Postby AdminWes » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi gswartzl,

Any luck with the router?

I was interested in how well the 2.0 SmartLinc works on the iPhone. It sounds like by your description there is some work left to do to make it more responsive.

I agree, the ISY is a better product for PC-free Insteon control than any other product I've used...and with 100 devices, the ISY handles that number better as well.

In the next release of iLinc I'd like to get a number of different sort methods build into the release. I'm looking at supporting the beta folder feature in the beta firmware of the ISY.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby gswartzl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Wes,

No luck with the router. I'm still working with Michel at ISY, but I think it may be a basic problem with the 2WIRE router. But there are a lot of settings, and I don't know what all of them do.

The Smartlinc solution is different. Each time you access their web app, it asks you if you are at home or away, and then connects appropriately. This works, but in both cases (home and away) it is slow. I like a dedicated application solution much better.

Two potential solutions occur to me - 1) let iLinc have two (or more) connections defined - this would also help those who have multiple houses. 2) let multiple copies of iLinc be installed - one for home and one for away, each with its own configuration.

On the other hand, I could replace my router with one that is known to work for this situation.

Any other ideas? Any of your customers using 2WIRE routers?

Thanks,
Gary

AdminWes wrote:Hi gswartzl,

It sounds like an IP traffic routing problem. I've seen where others have had similar issues. In their case the problem was with the router not allowing internal loopback forwarding. IE since you are on your internal network the router wouldn't allow an internal address to talk to the router's dynamic IP address and forward the traffic to another different internal IP address. The good news was that it turned out to be a router configuration setting. Take a look in your router settings and see if something pops out like this. If not let me know and I can dig into your router a bit further.

As for the SmartLinc, iLinc doesn't support this yet. iLinc DOES support the PowerLinc 2414 USB or serial and the ISY 26/99. After I fully support the ISY my plan is to tackle the SmartLinc device. Do you have the 2.0 version of SmartLinc? I've heard that they've implemented a real-time feedback options through the web interface and was wondering how well that was working for folks.

Wes
gswartzl

Postby AdminWes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Gary,

I don't know of anyone else using a 2WIRE router. I did a quick search on the 2WIRE support site and through Google. It looks like you aren't the only one having loopback problems with the 2WIRE routers. The common solutions in the cases I read was to get a new modem that supports this feature.

As for iLinc I have on my plate a feature request to support multiple profiles so that you could switch between local network and external network (Or multiple ISYs at different locations)

Thanks for the info on the SmartLinc. After I'm happy with the ISY support I'd like to support the SmartLinc device as well. I think there are many people who don't care for the Safari interface.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby gswartzl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 am

Thank you Wes,

I am hearing the same story from Michel over at ISY support. I guess I'll think about getting a new router. I hear that DLinks don't seem to have this issue. Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks
Gary
gswartzl

Postby AdminWes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:46 am

Hi Gary,

I've always used Linksys routers and haven't had a problem with them.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mozman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Gary,

For various reasons relating to changing my Vonage service, I had to change the router I have for our house. The previous router (a Motorola router supplied by Vonage), did not support loopback, so for several applications (including iLinc), I had to use an internal IP address (192.168.0.xx) while at home, and I could only use my dyndns address away from home.

However, my new D-Link router (DGL-4100) fully supports the address loopback (and is a kick-a** router as well), so now I can use my dyndns address both in and out of the house.
mozman

Previous

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments